Monday, December 4, 2006

Tempus Fugit

So much for posting every few days. I couldn't figure out how to manage this and friends who went on said they couldn't post so I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm hoping to be able to manage this soon as I'm leaving for Algeria on December 20th. I'll return on the 29th. I will be very interested to practice my French and try out my rusty Arabic. When I was in Andalucia, Spain this fall, I added words to my Arabic/Spanish list. I had known that many words beginning with a and al in Spanish come from Arabic - alcazar, aceituna, etc. Ojalá, of course, comes from Allah. While I was in the Alhambra this time I learned a new one. The recesses in the walls, usually curved or pointed at the top and used for vases and other things, are called "tacas". In Spanish we have "taquillas", which are ticket windows. In many arenas they are shaped like those in the Alhambra. I'm hoping I can find more Arabic/Spanish connections while in Algeria. However, I understand that Arabic was not spoken for many years in parts of the country. What an interesting cultural experience this is going to be.

Before I leave I hope to post a few of my favorite language jokes. Something light for the season - the season of light.

No comments: